Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Requiem Mass (Though Not For Me, As You May Have Thought)

     Well, it is interesting to see how summer work and a boatload of schoolwork can affect my opportunity to post even a small entry! But I finally have something worthwhile to write about!
The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra warming up before the concert.
The choir still had yet to come out!
(The picture isn't very clear; it was taken with my phone)
     This past October, I had the exciting and amazing opportunity to see the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra give an outstanding performance of the Requiem Mass in D Minor (K. 626). This was the first time I had ever heard a real, professional symphony orchestra perform any classical masterpiece live. Of all pieces, they performed one of my all time favorites, the Requiem Mass!
     This was only part of the excitement, however. The advertisement I had read for the performance stated that actor John Lithgow would be reading excerpts of poetry and letters written by Mozart. Naturally, I was very excited to see a famous actor live. Then, while waiting for the concert to begin, I discovered in the program that Mr. Lithgow would not be there that night...instead, it was F. Murray Abraham (winner of the Oscar for his performance as Antonio Salieri in the film Amadeus) whom they were featuring! I just about jumped out of my seat. The star of my favorite movie of all time was there that night, reading letters from Mozart during the Requiem Mass! Needless to say, Mr. Abraham did not disappoint.
F. Murray Abraham as Salieri (L) and as himself (R)
     Before the Requiem Mass, the PSO treated us to a stellar performance of Beethoven's violin concerto, featuring Noah Bendix-Balgley. It was so amazing! What more can I say? How can I really describe with words a night filled with Beethoven and Mozart? (Of course, there are no words!)
     One of the most amazing parts of the evening was the end of the Requiem--after the last movement ended, the concert hall faded to complete darkness and a bell tolled in remembrance of one of the greatest composers of all time. Slowly, the lights faded back on, and at that moment, the entire hall erupted into a chorus of emphatic cheers.
     There is nothing quite like being surrounded by Mozart's emotional, deeply moving sacred music. This day will forever be one of my most cherished memories. A special thanks to Dave for this wonderful, unforgettable day!

3 comments:

  1. I got chills reading about the bell tolling! So happy for your opportunity -you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is cool. Requiem was my first live concert too. I wrote about it in my blog tone-deaf troglodyte tries Mozart.

    ReplyDelete

Any inappropriate comments will be removed immediately. Please, no profanity or swearing in your comments. Please use correct spelling (no abbreviations or "Instant Message/Texting Spelling". Thank you for your consideration!