Monday, October 31, 2011

Mozart Goodies

Goodness, it has been nearly a month since I have last written. Life seems to be whizzing by while my poor blog sits here alone and forgotten. To make up for the time it has taken me to write, I will share my new upload of the Coronation Mass, K. 317, written in 1779, along with some quotes about Mozart and a letter excerpt to brighten up the day. Enjoy!

In Bach, Beethoven and Wagner we admire principally the depth and energy of the human mind; in Mozart, the divine instinct.   - Edvard Grieg
Mozart's music is free of all exaggeration, of all sharp breaks and contradictions.  The sun shines but does not blind, does not burn or consume.  Heaven arches over the earth, but it does not weigh it down, it does not crush or devour it.    - Karl Barth

It is hard to think of another composer who so perfectly marries form and passion.    - Leonard Bernstein

What a picture of a better world you have given us, Mozart!   - Franz Schubert

W. A. Mozart - Kr√∂nungsmesse in C Major, K. 317

It seems here that Mozart learned a form of sign language. He writes to his sister Nannerl at the age of 15:

Milan, August 31, 1771.
My Dearest Sister,--
We are quite well, thank God! I have been eating quantities of fine pears, peaches, and melons in your place. My greatest amusement is to talk by signs to the dumb, which I can do to perfection. Herr Hasse [the celebrated opera composer] arrived here yesterday, and to-day we are going to pay him a visit. We only received the book of the Serenata last Thursday. I have very little to write about. Do not, I entreat, forget about THE ONE OTHER, where no other can ever be. You understand me, I know.
Anyone who knows more on this subject, please comment with your input and knowledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any inappropriate comments will be removed immediately. Please, no profanity or swearing in your comments. Please use correct spelling (no abbreviations or "Instant Message/Texting Spelling". Thank you for your consideration!